- 1 large sweet potato, baked and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup of semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. Prick 1 large sweet potato all over with a fork. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on HIGH until tender, about 10 minutes.) Let cool, then scoop out the flesh into a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Grease and flour—or spray with baking spray— a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the mashed sweet potato, white and brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, butter, sour cream, and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two batches until just combined. Fold in the chocolate. Be careful not to overmix.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and place on a wire rack. Slice and eat the bread warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!