1 ½ cups of unsalted butter (3 sticks), room temperature
3 cups sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cups flour (all-purpose or cake), spooned and leveled
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cups of 7UP soda, room temperature is best
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 to 2 tablespoons 7UP soda
¼ teaspoon each of lemon & lime zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and lightly flour a 10-12 cup bundt pan or tube pan (without the removable bottom).
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, beat butter on low speed for 2 minutes then add sugar. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 20 minutes. While Butter and sugar are creaming zest and juice lemon and lime and gather dry ingredients.
- Add eggs, one at a time until just incorporated at low speed. The egg should be incorporated before adding the next egg. Scrape down the sides as needed. Don’t over mix. Add vanilla, zest, and lemon juice and mix for about 30 seconds. The mixture will look a little curdled but this will leave once the flour is combined. At low speed, add flour to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in 7Up.
- Pour batter into a well-greased and lightly floured bundt pan or tube pan. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour & 10-15 minutes. Check at the hour mark. The cake is done when the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Glaze: Combine all ingredients and whisk until there are no clumps.
- Let cake sit in about 10 minutes, remove from pan, and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled. Eat plain, top with berries, or drizzle with glaze.