- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 stick of butter, cut in 5-6 pats
- ½ cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- Gather the ingredients plus two saucepans
- The rutabaga will take a little longer to cook than the potatoes so cook your rutabaga and potatoes in separate saucepans.
- When both are tender, remove from heat. Rutabaga will take about 25-30 minutes and the potatoes will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the rutabaga and potatoes. Mash or rice well.
- Add butter, cream, salt & pepper to taste and stir. Do not over stir.
- Garnish with chives or chopped parsley, if desired.
- To lighten this dish up use whole milk or make it vegan with non-dairy milk.
- I like butter but you can use half a stick or instead of butter, use a good quality olive oil.
- Want some more flavor? Try steeping a bay leaf and a few thyme sprigs in your cream or add some garlic. You can even try nutmeg.