- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2–4 tablespoons of sugar (depending on sweetness desired)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (full fat)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or bacon drippings
- Butter or oil for frying
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl add buttermilk, eggs, and whisk together. Pour into a bowl with flour mixture. Add butter or drippings and mix until combined.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet. Add butter or oil.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter into the skillet.
- Cook until bubbles form on top, flip over, and cook until the bottom is golden.
- Serve with butter.