- 3 1/2 cups short-grain glutinous rice
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 oz. Chicken breast, thinly sliced
- I small knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fried onions or shallots
- Chopped chives or green onions, garnish
- Chili crisp, garnish
- Cover the rice with water and soak for 1 hour. In a separate bowl, cover the mushrooms with 1 cup water and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain the rice and mushrooms, reserving the mushroom liquid. Add enough water to the mushroom liquid to measure 4 cups total. Slice the mushrooms and set them aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the chicken and ginger. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the chicken is cooked through. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Add the rice and continue stirring until the rice is thoroughly coated.
- Transfer to a rice cooker and pour the mushroom liquid over the rice. Stir the mixture then cover and steam the rice according to the cooker’s directions. Fluff the rice and top with the fried onion, chives and chili crisp on the side.
- **If you don’t have a rice cooker, the rice can be cooked on a stovetop in a large pot for about 25 minutes. Let it stand 5 minutes before fluffing the rice.
- **To make it vegetarian, replace the chicken with firm tofu and use vegetarian oyster sauce.