These moist sweet potato scones are spiced with cinnamon & nutmeg, hints of orange and cardamom, studded with cranberries, and topped with a divine maple-pecan glaze making them the perfect holiday, or any day, breakfast treat!
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash of cardamom
1 stick unsalted butter/vegan butter grated
⅓ cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
½ cup roasted or boiled sweet potato
½ cup + 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk/non-dairy milk
1 egg-see below for vegan substitute, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon orange juice
½ teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
½ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400° F.
- Prick the sweet potatoes all over with the tines of a fork and bake on a foil-covered pan 40-45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh into a medium bowl, and mash with a fork. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until cool, at least 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and sugars until combined. Stir dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add grated butter. Using your hand, pastry cutter, 2 forks, or 2 butter knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. It should look like a bowl full of small peas. Mix in cranberries and zest. Place this mixture in the fridge,
- In a separate bowl, add buttermilk, egg, vanilla, sweet potato and combine.
- Fold in your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients until just combined. It’s o.k. if there’s a little loose flour at the bottom of the bowl. Turn dough out onto parchment paper
- On parchment paper, use your hands to shape the dough into a 7-8 inch circle that’s 1/2-1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 equal triangles and spread out onto the parchment paper. About 2 inches apart.
- Using a pastry brush, use a little bit of the buttermilk to brush the tops of the prepared dough.
- Bake on the center rack of a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Make the glaze: While scones are baking grab a small bowl add all ingredients, except the pecans, and stir until combined and there are no lumps. Mix in pecans. and add all ingredients for your glaze.
- Allow scones to cool slightly, drizzle glaze over warm scones, and serve. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 50
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast