- 1 cup basmati, cooked and cooled or 3 cups cooked rice (you can also use another long-grain rice if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions, cut thin on the diagonal (trimmed; use white and all green parts)
- 3/4 cups combination of diced red, green, and yellow bell peppers (seeded)
- 1 cup cooked, of basic black-eyed peas, not mushy & no salt added (you can also use a 14 oz can that has been drained and rinsed)
- 1 packed cup of collards, washed stemmed, and sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 teaspoons of grape seed oil
- A pinch each of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanut oil or another oil of choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of soumbala or netetou powder (may substitute maggi or soy sauce)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced (1 tablespoon)
- Generous pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (may substitute hot sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make the rice: Rinse rice until the water runs clear, then soak in cold water for at least 20-30 minutes. After the rice has soaked, drain it. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a wide-bottomed pot add rice and stir to coat all the grains. Add ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 ½ cup of water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 2-3 minutes more. Fluff with a fork and spread to let cool on a sheet pan or baking sheet. Makes 3 cups of cooked rice.
- Crispy Collards: Preheat oven to 300°0 Make sure collards are dry, add to a large bowl, and toss with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sea salt. Spread collards out on a large baking sheet or sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the collards are crisp. Let cool. Best served immediately.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, peanut oil, honey, teaspoons of soumbala, garlic, ginger, red pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Make the salad: Place salad ingredients and rice in a large bowl and gently toss and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Gently toss, top with collards, and serve. Fantastic served right away and even the next day!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: African-inspired