Creamy and savory with a hint of sweetness, this roasted sweet potato hummus is the dip you didn’t know you needed. It’s a little smoky from the roasted garlic and spiced with zaatar and paprika. You’ll get a flavor bomb in your mouth with every bite.
I love hummus and I love sweet potatoes so I had to put them together. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with the chickpeas, roasted garlic, zaatar, cumin, and paprika. This is easy to make and a fun twist on traditional hummus.
Sweet Potato Hummus
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Creamy and savory with a hint of sweetness, this roasted sweet potato hummus is the dip you didn’t know you needed. It’s a little smoky from the roasted garlic and spiced with zaatar & paprika. You’ll get a flavor bomb in your mouth with every bite.
1 medium sized sweet potato, roasted
1 15.5oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cloves of garlic, roasted
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon zaatar+more for garnish
1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika + more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil + more for drizzling
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tablespoons cold water (or use reserved liquid if chickpeas were home-cooked)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt + more to taste
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped for garnish
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Prick 1 large sweet potato all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle garlic cloves, skin on, with olive oil, and rub to coat. Place on a baking sheet with the sweet potato and place in the oven. After the sweet potato and garlic have been baking for about 25-30 minutes, remove the garlic. Continue baking the sweet potato for another 20-30 minutes until the sweet potato is fork tender Let cool.
- To a blender or food processor add the chickpeas, tahini, and garlic and purée in a food processor until they look like a gritty paste. Squeeze garlic out of their skin. Throw away the skin.
- Scoop out the flesh of the sweet potato into the food processor and add all of the seasonings. Start the processor and add oil. Puree for 3-5 minutes, or until smooth. Add 2- 3 tablespoons of cold water to thin the mixture out if needed.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Spread hummus in a thin, even layer on a large plate or add to a bowl and drizzle with more olive oil, zaatar, paprika, and chopped pistachios. red pepper flakes. Add summer salad around the platter and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
Leave a Reply