All you need are a few ingredients, about 40 minutes, and an appetite for this yummy, healthy, and pantry friendly dish!
Are you tired of making the same old boring meals every week? Want to try something new and exciting? Look no further than braised chickpeas with broccolini! This dish is packed with flavor, nutrients, and is easy to make. In this blog post, I’ll take you through the steps to make this dish, and give you some tips to make it your own.
Only a Few Ingredients Needed
That’s right! All you really need for this super quick and tasty dish are five key ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. I’ve zhuzhed it up a bit with a few extras but all you really need are these five ingredients:
- Butter or Oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Tomato Paste
- Smoked paprika, thyme, red pepper flakes, and of course salt and pepper
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Broth- Vegetable or Chicken
How to Make Spicy Braised Chickpeas
Don’t let the “B” word scare you! Braising chickpeas or any other bean is super easy. All it means is that you’re searing/sauteing (dry heat) then cooking slow in a liquid (moist heat). See, easy peasy, right? The beans soak up all that tomato-y goodness and is reminiscent of my Chicken Creole recipe. Here’s how you cook it:
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet or other medium-sized skillet, heat oil/butter over medium heat and saute the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Once the aromatics begin to soften add tomato paste and spices. Stirring constantly, let the tomato paste deepen in color and caramelize.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and broth.Stir to combine then add in broccolini.
- Put the cast iron skillet in the oven. If not using a cast iron skillet, add the chickpeas and broccolini in an oven-safe dish.
- Let all that goodness bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes and viola! TIME TO EAT!
What to Serve with Spicy Braised Chickpeas?
Eat your braised chickpeas solo or with roasted chicken, serve over rice or try it with some cheesy grits like I did. Don’t forget some crusty bread too!