If you’re looking to create a delightful hummus and vegetable board that will impress your friends and family look no further. This board is packed with a colorful array of fresh vegetables, smoky black-eyed pea hummus, sweet and savory sweet potato hummus, and plain hummus drizzled with a lil’ hot honey.
Join me in celebrating Juneteenth with more than 30 other Black culinary creators. Juneteenth marks our country’s second independence day, signifying the final emancipation of those enslaved in the US announced in 1865. This year, we are celebrating “Freedom Day” by offering a delightful selection of mains, sides, desserts, and refreshing drinks that are perfect for backyard barbecues and summer gatherings with friends and family.
Join us in honoring the legacy of progress and freedom by cooking and sharing these recipes. Additionally, you can easily follow each participant by using the hashtag #JuneteenthCookout2023 on Instagram. You can find a list of all recipes from the 2023 Juneteenth Virtual Cookout on the Eat the Culture website.
the menu: green soul
With the highest population of vegans/vegetarians in the United States, African-Americans are drawing inspiration from the largely plant-based diet of our African ancestors and developing recipes inspired by classic Soul Food dishes. Black-eyed peas, chickpeas, and watermelon are updated in recipes like Southern Caviar, Strawberry Lemonade Vodka, and Watermelon Salad with Cilantro Honey Lime Dressing.
Savor and Sage – Soul Hummus and Vegetable Board
Brazilian Kitchen Abroad – Watermelon Salad with Cilantro Honey Lime dressing
Geo’s Table – Southern Caviar (Black eyed Pea Salad)
Collards Are The Old Kale – White Beans w/Tomato Chow Chow
That Green Lyfe – Island Salad
Slight Kitchen Werk- Tahitian Treat Popsicles
My Pretty Brown Eats – Watermelon Basil Gin Cocktail
choosing the perfect vegetables for your board
When it comes to selecting vegetables for your hummus and vegetable board, opt for a vibrant and diverse range of options. Here are some suggestions to ensure a colorful and visually appealing presentation:
- Rainbow Carrots: Rainbow carrots, with their various hues ranging from orange to purple and yellow, add a pop of color to your board. They are not only visually appealing but also offer a delightful crunch and natural sweetness.
- Cucumber Spears: Cucumber spears are refreshing and hydrating, making them a great addition to your board. Their crisp texture and mild flavor provide a nice contrast to the creamy hummus.
- Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes: Heirloom cherry tomatoes come in an array of colors and flavors, adding a burst of freshness to your board. These bite-sized tomatoes provide a tangy and slightly sweet taste that complements the other ingredients.
- Stone Fruit:To add a touch of sweetness and seasonal freshness to your board, include a selection of stone fruits such as peaches, plums, or apricots. The juicy and sweet nature of these fruits pairs well with the savory hummus flavors.
- Olives: Olives offer a briny and salty element that complements the creaminess of the hummus. Opt for a variety of olives, such as Kalamata, green, or stuffed olives, to provide a range of flavors.
- Pickled Okra: For a unique twist, include pickled okra on your board. Pickled okra adds a tangy and slightly spicy flavor that creates an interesting contrast to the other components.
complementing your hummus and vegetable board with chips
To complete your hummus and vegetable board, offer a selection of chips that provide different textures and flavors. Here are some chip options that will enhance the overall experience:
- Pita Chips: Pita chips are a classic choice that pairs well with hummus. Their sturdy texture allows for easy dipping, and their subtle flavor doesn’t overpower the hummus or vegetables.
- Blue Corn Tortilla Chips: Blue corn tortilla chips not only add a vibrant color to your board but also bring a distinct earthy flavor. These chips provide a satisfying crunch and work wonderfully with the various hummus flavors.
- Root Vegetable Chips: Root vegetable chips, such as beet, sweet potato, or parsnip chips, offer a healthier alternative to traditional potato chips. They provide a crisp texture and a range of flavors that complement the hummus and vegetables.
assembling your hummus and vegetable board
Now that you have selected the ingredients, it’s time to assemble your hummus and vegetable board. Follow these step-by-step instructions for a visually appealing and delicious result:
- Start by placing small bowls or ramekins on the board to hold each type of hummus.
- Arrange the different hummus variations, including sweet potato hummus, black-eyed pea hummus, and plain hummus drizzled with hot honey, in the bowls.
- Surround the hummus bowls with an assortment of colorful vegetables, such as rainbow carrots, cucumber spears, heirloom cherry tomatoes, stone fruit, olives, and pickled okra. Group the vegetables together, creating visually pleasing clusters.
- Fill any empty spaces on the board with pita chips, blue corn tortilla chips, and root vegetable chips. Arrange them in a way that allows easy access for dipping.
- Consider adding garnishes like fresh herbs, sprouts, or a drizzle of olive oil for an extra touch of flavor and aesthetics.
- Ensure the board is visually balanced, with a mix of colors and textures spread evenly throughout.
- Finally, step back and admire your beautiful and appetizing hummus and vegetable board before serving it to your friends and family.