Southern Tomato Galette
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1– 1 ½ pounds heirloom or other ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4-ounce mascarpone or cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 4– 5basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 sheet packaged puff pastry (follow package instructions for thawing)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and salt on both sides. Place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes (up to an hour) to remove moisture from tomatoes. Once tomatoes have sit, pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heat a small skillet on medium-high heat and add butter. Once the butter has melted, add onion and stir to coat the onions. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. Let cook for 10-15 30 until the onions start to carmelize and get little and brown. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine cheddar cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, basil, and cooled onions.
- Roll out puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper to a 12 by 16 rectangle. Leave a 1 ½” border. Spread cheese mixture into the center of the galette and then add tomatoes in layers. Bring edges of the puff pastry up and over filling, overlapping as needed Sprinkle with cracked black pepper.
- Place in of and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown and tomatoes are cooked. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main
Leave a Reply